There's nothing worse than dry, itchy skin. Dry skin can happen any time during the year, but is most prevalent in winter (hence the term, "winter itch"). Find out why your skin tends to be dry in winter and how to solve dry hands, feet, body, face and lips year-round.
In winter, low temperatures, low humidity and strong, harsh winds deplete skin of its natural lipid layer, which keeps the skin from drying out. The dry air from furnaces and other heating sources also suck the moisture out of skin. To keep skin soft and supple, your goal is not only to add moisture to skin, but to keep moisture in as well.
Why Dry Skin?
You get dry skin because your skin is not producing enough natural oils to keep itself hydrated. This lack of oil will cause your skin to be dry,sensitive and feel tight and itchy.
So when you go to buy your daily facial cleanser, make sure to get one that does not contain a lot of alcohol, which will irritate already dry skin.
Then, it is really important to get a good facial moisturizer. The ones which contain olive oil can be a good choice as these are safe and natural.
If your skin is dry, it may also be sensitive. When you try new products watch out for redness and don't use products that cause irritation. Also, you may want to try to find a facial cream that has sun screen in it too.
Here are some tips to prevent dry itchy skin:
1) Keep water lukewarm not hot in shower or while washing hands or face (hot water robs skin's moisture)
2) Moisturize your skin after every shower while your skin is still damp. (You can lock moisture in the skin this way)
3)Exfoliate your skin, both your face and body, weekly (to remove dead skin, so that moisturizers can be better absorbed by the skin)
4)Don't use drying soaps, use mild cleansers instead.
5)Use lip balms for your lips.
6) Invest in a deeply nourishing facial moisturizer,a body moisturizer, plus a humidifier if you live in low-humidity climate.
7) You can take fish oil pills.
8) Drink plenty of water.
9) Use bath oils during taking a bath or right after the bath.
10) After you take a shower or a bath, pat dry with a towel, don't rub it.
11) Use natural oils for your face at nights for moisturizing. (Sweet almond oil, wheat germ oil etc )
12) You can apply facial masks for deeper hydration.